[ale] Favorite diag bootable images

Ken Cochran kwc at TheWorld.com
Fri Sep 28 18:59:35 EDT 2018

Ok, well I've been trying to make a bootable USB flash drive
with/of it, finally did it with their Windows-based install
tool & the thing won't boot (e.g. get past grub) due to lack
of a kernel (what?).  Haven't been able to make a bootable
USB at all with OSX, dunno what kinda PEBKAC...

What I'm trying to do is get an old Vista (yeah, I know,
ewww) box to boot & it's complaining about some kind of
missing /boot/-something- file & naturally (so far) there's
no OS install media (one of my chief complaints against MS -
no media & even if you DO manage to find it, it wipes out
*everything* if you use it).

SystemRescueCD looks like a Nice Tool to have in my box but
so far I'm having no luck getting it to work.  I've long used
(for example) gparted with no (or at least minimal) issues.
Sorry for off-topicness.

-k