[ale] Computer centric Movies/TV Shows

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 16:53:45 EDT 2018

Best computer movie EVER:
Independence Day
Nothing says good computer knowledge by the writers like WRITING A
COMPUTER VIRUS IN ONE DAY THAT INFECTS AN ALIEN SYSTEM!!!
sorry for the spoilers
Will Smith was, well, Will Smith.
Second best:
Jurassic Park
"I know this. It's UNIX!" And then the nerd girl saves they day.
Third best:
The Matrix
I keep taking the red pill but nothing happens. Damn!
On Mon, 2018-09-24 at 14:54 -0400, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
> At ALE-NW yesterday, we were discussing some Computer-related
> moviesbecause "The Net" was on TV at the time.
> A few came up:* Hackers (1995)* Tron (1982)* WarGames (1983)* Hacker
> (2016)* Her (2013) - set in the near-future* CitizenFour* Snowden*
> The Circle (2017)* Antitrust (2001)* The Pirates of Silicon Valley
> and that PBS documentary _The Triumph of the Nerds_ with an insider
> viewfrom an early Apple employee
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX5g0kidk3Y
> Hackers and WarGames are the worst in the list. The Net was terrible
> andso was the sequel. The last 3 are worth a watch if you haven't
> seenthem. These are historical and current year movies.
>
> TV
> There have been many recent TV series about computing. Silicon
> Valleyand Halt and Catch Fire come to mind. The IT Crowd and Chuck
> are alwaysfunny.
> Many are on APV or Netflix or Youtube (free).
> We avoided all the Hacking-centric shows.  Mr. Robot S3 will be
> onAmazon Prime next month. S1 and S2 are there already. Real
> hackersvalidate that everything they claim on the show is possible,
> BTW.
> Antitrust and The Circle show how far fictitious companies are
> willingto go. I suspect they aren't far from reality at all.
> What movies in the same "computing startup" vein did we
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/