[ale] IBM is buying Redhat!

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Tue Oct 30 11:59:00 EDT 2018

On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 10:47:05 -0400
Jim Kinney via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> For those of us
> using or interacting with RHEL systems, this is being viewed as a very
> questionable thing for the continuity of RedHat philosophy.

The RedHat philosophy is "obfuscate to profit." Don't take my word for
it. Read former Redhat CEO Brian Stevens admit the motive at
http://asay.blogspot.com/2006/10/interview-with-red-hat-cto-brian.html

> Doesn't
> matter what people think about rpm's, systemd, elf binaries, etc,
> RedHat has been a driving force in the Linux and GPL ecosystem.
> Notice I said GPL and NOT open source. That was deliberate. RedHat
> would take their $$$ and buy a product/process that was not GPL'ed,
> clean up the codebase of all incompatible cruft, clean-room code to
> backfill, and then release it under the GPL.

The Redhat that did that was already dead years ago.

From my perspective, one bad actor bought another.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2018 featured book: Quit Joblessness: Start Your Own Business
http://www.troubleshooters.com/startbiz