[ale] IBM is buying Redhat!

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Oct 29 10:54:58 EDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018 at 09:45:26AM -0400, Simba via Ale wrote:
> What is it that you believe "scaling" is?
>
> It's hiring people and buying equipment.

Which takes money.  And a non-trivial amount of *time*.

This is especially true if you need niche skills.

One recent vacancy I was involved in filling took six months to merely
find *one* mostly-competent person worth calling back, in one of the
larger metro areas in the country.

> Seriously man are you trolling or what? Do you think that the world is
> sitting still in some kind of perpetual stasis? You think people can't
> be hired, or change employment, based on the conditions in the
> marketplace? I'm trying to say your lack of understanding on this
> boggles my mind.

Do you seriously believe folks change jobs on whim?  That relocation is
instantaneous and new folks can be 100% productive on day one?  That an
organization can pivot just as easily with 5000, 500, 50, or even 5
people as a sole proprietership?

How do you obtain the capital needed to grow past each stage?

How do you make payroll when a contract negotiation unexpectedly drags
out, or there's a delay in payment due to budget sequestration or
disputes over what was delivered vs requirements?

As any organization grows, it necessarily gets more conservative and
less risk-adverse.  Predictiblity becomes the most important
consideration, even over higher rates of (potential) return.

You know, kind of like the bonds vs stocks and early vs
close-to-retirement investment strategies.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^