[ale] IBM is buying Redhat!

A. P. Garcia a.phillip.garcia at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 10:41:16 EDT 2018

On Mon, Oct 29, 2018, 10:30 AM Simba <simbalion-ale at tailpuff.net> wrote:

> Yeah I don't believe you. Sorry.
>
> Got any historic evidence? blog posts, tech journal news, etc, that
> mentions your name?
>
> Anyway these things are marketing tricks, even without the board
> meetings. If there weren't meetings for that particular project, there
> were meetings for public image outreach and so on. It's all a dog and
> pony show.

Here's the story. Around the time this happened, I was corresponding with
Richard Stallman about public outreach. In the course of our emails, he
looped in a woman who was doing some free marketing consulting for him. I
don't know who she was or whom she worked for. The original idea I had was
some artwork that would resemble the colorful murals that you see in inner
cities. It would depict happy people and GNUs, and the message would be
peace, love, and GNU's Not Unix!

Within weeks of my suggestion, the graffiti incident in San Francisco took
place. Coincidence? Maybe. I would have to dig up those old emails to
corroborate the timing. Even better, I could find out who that woman was
and whether she worked in any capacity for IBM marketing. But you know
what? I really don't care. It's entirely plausible that it was just a
coincidence, and I've never tried to take credit for it before. It doesn't
really matter to me.