[ale] Anyone know about Safari?

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 11:59:00 EDT 2018

If the content-type header was the last header in your set of headers, then
that makes sense. Safari is merely strictly adhering to the RFC:

"
After receiving and interpreting a request message, a server responds
   with an HTTP response message.

       Response      = Status-Line               ; Section 6.1
                       *(( general-header        ; Section 4.5
                        | response-header        ; Section 6.2
                        | entity-header ) CRLF)  ; Section 7.1
                       CRLF
                       [ message-body ]          ; Section 7.2
"

Note the two "CRLF" sequences following the "entity-header" block.

See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2616#section-2.2 for a definition of
"CRLF".

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 4:05 PM, Charles Shapiro via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> Nemmine, solved it.  You need two linefeeds after the "Content-Type:" line:
>
> print("Content-Type: text/html\n\n")
>
> Then it works on all browsers.  Ugh.
>
> -- CHS
>

> On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 3:58 PM Charles Shapiro <hooterpincher at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a  python 2.7 CGI script using the cgi module running inside
>> lighttpd on a raspberry pi.  It works fine in firefox, chrome, and even the
>> browser that comes with Windows 10 (edge?).  In Safari and konquerer, the
>> CGI runs fine but the browsers won't render the HTML it prints.  Instead,
>> these two browsers print the output of my script as if it were text.  If I
>> run cgi.test(), they render the HTML correctly. If I purposely mung the
>> python script ( I have cgitb enabled), the errors render correctly. The
>> correctly rendered HTML and the HTML rendered as text both appear to lack
>> headers as  shown by view source in all browsers.  If I put my cgi-bin
>> output into a file named "foo.html", it renders correctly in all browsers (
>> I presume they are deducing that it is HTML by the file extension).   If I
>> put a "Content-Type: text/html" line into my  cgi-bin output, then firefox
>> and others offer to download the output of my script rather than displaying
>> it ( it has no effect on the behavior of Safari).
>>
>> The web is silent on this matter.  Has anyone here experienced this?

James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)
http://haplo.bandcamp.com/ (music)