[ale] OT (kind of):Updating a BIOS

Horkan Smith ale at horkan.net
Thu Nov 29 10:42:14 EST 2018

If you haven't found a more linux-y solution yet, Windows 10 will let you install w/out a product key.  (There's a "I don't have a product key" option to click below the product key prompt.)

If the machine was previously authorized for Windows there's a good chance it'll find the digital key once you've fully installed... but even if it doesn't it'll let you run the BIOS installer.  I've even had Windows find an acceptable digital key running in qemu-kvm sessions on physical hardware that was purchased w/ windows on it.  (No, I wouldn't try running the BIOS update in a VM, but you knew that already.  9-))

You should expect anything that's on that hard drive to go away - be sure to back it up first, or physically swap it.  You *might* get away w/ either a partition re-size or installing windows on a USB drive, but I haven't really tried either one.

Generating a Windows 10 install CD or USB is a bit of a pain, but can be done if you have access to an existing windows install.  If you want to pursue this but don't have a CD or USB, let me know.

later!
   horkan