[ale] New Apple Hardware with T2 chips

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Nov 5 11:45:01 EST 2018

I really don’t see the issue outside of the laptops. But do people who run
Linux as their daily desktop OS even care about Apple laptops?

As for the Mini, while it isn’t a bad price for the whole package, one
could build a similarly compact system with comparable specs for a good bit
cheaper that doesn’t have such stringent security checks.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 11:35 DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> won't boot Linux, currently.
>
> "At least until further notice, these new Apple systems sporting the T2
> chip will not be able to boot Linux operating systems. Apple's T2
> security chip being embedded into their newest products provides a
> secure enclave, APFS storage encryption, UEFI Secure Boot validation,
> Touch ID handling, a hardware microphone disconnect on lid close, and
> other security tasks. The T2 restricts the boot process quite a bit and
> verifies each step of the process using crypto keys signed by Apple. "
>

> https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Apple-T2-Blocks-Linux-UEFI
>
> So if you are planning to get some of that new Apple hardware to run
> Linux on, do your research first.

James Sumners
http://james.sumners.info/ (technical profile)
http://jrfom.com/ (personal site)