[ale] Whoa, I thinks I am in luv

Lightner, Jeffrey JLightner at dsservices.com
Thu May 31 15:09:06 EDT 2018

In the mid-80s I loved the IBM PC family keyboards (pre-PS2).   They were rock solid and only once did I have an issue with keys not working.

On that one issue it was in a security office where the vent into it was apparently fairly powerful as there was always a stiff breeze coming through the teller style opening in the security glass.   I made the mistake of taking the keyboard apart and as expected found that breeze had forced dust into it over the years.  I was able to clean out the dust and re-assemble it to resolve the issue.  However, I vowed never again to take apart an IBM keyboard as each key had about 5 different moving parts to it and putting it all back together was a chore.

In those days new keyboards (even "cheap" non-IBM ones) were over a hundred bucks in 80s dollars so just buying replacements wasn't an option.