[ale] Amazon confirms that Echo device secretly shared user's private audio

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu May 24 15:00:11 EDT 2018

On Thu, 2018-05-24 at 18:53 +0000, Lightner, Jeffrey via Ale wrote:
> There's a reason Republicans overturned privacy regulations on ISPs.

Heck yeah! Big $$$$ in screwing people for cash!
> Oddly enough I got an Amazon Echo for free a couple of months back
> but it is still in the box in plastic.

Crazy people I know love Google and hacked a google thing to use voice
command to tell people are in the office. Like _I'm_ going to add my
name to that project...
> However, you don't need Echo for this.   Siri on your Apple Phone and
> Google voice on your Android are always listening.

Turns out my phone is well supported with the replacement for
cyanogenMod. Removing GooglePlay disables a ton of listening and
tracking ability.
> -----Original Message-----From: Ale [mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org] On
> Behalf Of Beddingfield, Allen via AleSent: Thursday, May 24, 2018
> 2:35 PMTo: ale at ale.orgSubject: Re: [ale] Amazon confirms that Echo
> device secretly shared user's private audio
> Government = Amazon = Google = Microsoft = Apple .....If Amazon gets
> the data, the government can get or intercept it.
> On 5/24/18 1:33 PM, Greg Clifton via Ale wrote:
> And we (well most of us or at least many of us) thought that Big
> Brother was going to be the Government!
> On Thu, May 24, 2018 at 2:31 PM, Calvin Harrigan via Ale <ale at ale.org
>  <mailto:ale at ale.org>> wrote:
>     Appalled and outraged! </s>
>
>     On 05/24/2018 02:29 PM, Raj Wurttemberg via Ale wrote:
>         Is anyone actually surprised by this??
>         /Raj
>         -----Original Message-----        From: Ale <ale-bounces at ale.
> org <mailto:ale-bounces at ale.org>> On        Behalf Of DJ-Pfulio via
> Ale        Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 2:12 PM        To: Atlanta
> Linux Enthusiasts <ale at ale.org <mailto:ale at ale.org>>        Subject:
> [ale] Amazon confirms that Echo device secretly
> shared        user's        private audio
>         https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/05/amazon-confirms-that-
> echo-device-sec        <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/05/amazo
> n-confirms-that-echo-device-sec>        retly-shared-users-private-
> audio/
>         IoT security rocks! /s

James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.