[ale] hoping against all hope to retain my sanity.

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Tue May 8 16:12:12 EDT 2018

AT&T is the worse ISP I ever dealt with, back about 12 years ago, I was on
XO.com, and I was paying a pretty penny to have a bonded ISDN line. A sale
weasel called and told me I could get DSL twice the band with for 35 a
month. So I switched, ever evening for two weeks my modem would get turn
off. I call in, they turned back on. Finally, an L3 got on the line asked
if I had a server, and I told him, yes, I let the weasel know that when we
were switch I had not one but 3 Linux servers. Well, they told me that
couldn't turn back on my modem because I WAS BREAKING the end-user
agreement. I told them that I was ending my contract because they had lied.
I switch to Net2Atlanta, used them until we moved to Dacua were we ran into
the issue that there no dsl out there, Fiber to the house. The best I could
get was 3MB/512K it sucked. I switch a year  to Comcast Business never
looked back.

It took AT&T to upgrade out here, and at best if you are in a good
neighborhood you can get 1G server.

AT&T is a turn and burn shop, I am surprise they haven't shipped the job
oversea.  I am also amazed they are still in business, when they bought
DirecTV, I cancel my service and told them because of how crappy AT&T
support is.

On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Sean via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> I am trying to change from Comcast to AT&T.  Complicating matters is my
> router:  it has wandered off into la-la land and I can no longer reach
> its configuration pages. Typing 192.168.1.1 returns no such
> address!!!!!
> So I got a new router and its setup routine wants the ipv-4 address of
> ATT's modem/router.  AT&T reps claim they cannot give it to me because
> they (apparently) can not retrieve it!!!!
> What the hell?!
> ATT's black box appearently contains a modem that takes data off the
> incoming fiber line and then pushes that data over to an internal
> router, which sends tv signals to the cable box and gives me two empty
> ports -- one of which feeds my LAN.  When I contact tech support and
> ask for the ipv4 address I am told it is 192.168.1.254.  Clearly I am
> dealing with idiots.
>
> Is there anyway I can pry loose the actual ipv4 address  via the
> command line?
>
> HaHa! I found a way: http://bot.whatismyipaddress.com
>
> And now I know.  Which just leaves the obvious question: Why is AT&T
> the ONLY isp that cannot tell its customers their ipv-4 addresses?  I
> assure you that if the FBI/NSA wanted to know what I was doing on the
> internet, AT&T would provide my ip address in a heartbeat. So why not
> to me?
>
> Sean

Terror PUP a.k.a
Chuck "PUP" Payne
openSUSE -- Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador/openSUSE Member
freenode(irc) --terrorpup/lupinstein
Register Linux Userid: 155363

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want to
package and distribute , or create your own linux distro. Give SUSE Studio
a try.