[ale] hoping against all hope to retain my sanity.

Sean kilpatms at comcast.net
Tue May 8 15:57:14 EDT 2018

I am trying to change from Comcast to AT&T.  Complicating matters is my
router:  it has wandered off into la-la land and I can no longer reach
its configuration pages. Typing 192.168.1.1 returns no such
address!!!!!
So I got a new router and its setup routine wants the ipv-4 address of
ATT's modem/router.  AT&T reps claim they cannot give it to me because
they (apparently) can not retrieve it!!!!
What the hell?!
ATT's black box appearently contains a modem that takes data off the
incoming fiber line and then pushes that data over to an internal
router, which sends tv signals to the cable box and gives me two empty
ports -- one of which feeds my LAN.  When I contact tech support and
ask for the ipv4 address I am told it is 192.168.1.254.  Clearly I am
dealing with idiots.

Is there anyway I can pry loose the actual ipv4 address  via the
command line?

HaHa! I found a way: http://bot.whatismyipaddress.com

And now I know.  Which just leaves the obvious question: Why is AT&T
the ONLY isp that cannot tell its customers their ipv-4 addresses?  I
assure you that if the FBI/NSA wanted to know what I was doing on the
internet, AT&T would provide my ip address in a heartbeat. So why not
to me?

Sean