[ale] VMs sharing native GPU

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 8 13:14:24 EDT 2018

There's some new NVidia stuff that supports virtual GPUs. It works
similar to have VMs work, carve a big system into smaller systems. It's
supported in Ovirt so it's supported by KVM. It does require rather new
GPU and cuda 9+
On Tue, 2018-05-08 at 12:52 -0400, Kyle Brieden via Ale wrote:
> KVM/QEMU and Xen both support PCI Passthrough, but it's been my
> understanding that PCI Passthrough assigns that resource directly to
> the
> guest/DomU.  Nothing, not even the hypervisor/Dom0 has access to it
> anymore.  I don't think it'll be possible to "share" a PCI device
> like
> that with multiple VMs running at the same time.
>
> ---
> Very respectfully,
> Kyle Brieden
>
> On 08-05-2018 09:17, Dow Hurst via Ale wrote:
> > Which hypervisor is best for PCI-E passthrough? I'd like to setup a
> > shared GPU on a VM server with a virtualized Ubuntu and a MS Win
> > instance that could share a GPU for accelerated graphics. I'm just
> > looking to get pointed in a direction that is open source, but
> > known
> > to work.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Dow
> > ⚛Dow Hurst, Research Scientist
> >        340 Sullivan Science Bldg.
> >        Dept. of Chem. and Biochem.
> >        University of North Carolina at Greensboro
> >        PO Box 26170 Greensboro, NC 27402-6170
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain