[ale] ovirt is rapidly losing it's charm

Kyle Brieden kyle at txmoose.com
Fri May 4 15:51:56 EDT 2018

I could never keep straight what XenProject vs XenServer vs Citrix Xen
vs Xen was... Some of those may overlap. There's also 3 different xen
tool chains... xe, xl, and xm.  Keeping straight which was what and
which I should be using documentation for was confusing.  It's one of
the things that ultimately drove my decision to switch to ProxMox.

Fair warning:  What you're about to read is awful. :P

For what it's worth, my DomUs were LVM partition backed, but I used
qemu-img to crunch those into VHDs.  Then I transferred those VHDs over
to my windows desktop and booted them with VirtualBox so that the
services would stay up while I reinstalled my HVZ.  Once that was done,
I exported the VHDs from VirtualBox into something that KVM uses (can't
remember what off hand), and moved them over to my proxmox machine.
Booted em up and was back off to the races.  Changed a single-node
hypervisor solution over from Xen to ProxMox with 2 reboots and only ~10
minutes downtime on all my VMs.

Felt dirty running services off VirtualBox in Windows, but it worked, so
I can't really complain.

---
Very respectfully,
Kyle Brieden