[ale] News: Red Hat slams into reverse on CPU fix for Spectre design blunder

Ted W. ted-lists at xy0.org
Sun Jan 21 22:13:09 EST 2018

Thanks for the heads up on this. So far I've done a handful of Redhat
kernel upgrades on 7.3 and haven't had any issues. The only problems
I've had so far are my clusters running 4.4 kernels from elrepo. The
4.4.110 kernel works fine but, as predicted, the Intel 10GbE module
built in to the packaged initramfs is broken (still) and I'm having to
compile my own module from Intel sources and strip the bad one from
initramfs. No related issues WRT spectre/meltdown patches, though.
Though, I do wish the upstream kernel had the flags Redhat built in to
their kernel so I could get some more concrete benchmark data out of it.