[ale] Slightly OT: System default python version

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 24 20:19:28 EST 2018

Rhel, and centos, still use python 2.7 as system default. Python 3.4 is optional. Most of the system management is python 2.7.  Fedora ships with both 2.7 and 3.6

Lot's of python 2 code can work in 3. But there's enough changes that it can't be relied upon to work without modifications.

New python projects should be with version 3, not 2.

On January 24, 2018 6:03:33 PM EST, Todor Fassl via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:
>I got a question from a student who is using python. "I'd rather not
>hard code in any python version. Is there any reason to have the system
>
>default be 2 instead of 3?"
>
>He had asked me to install the python-matplotlib package. I was like,
>"Are you sure you want python-matplotlib and not python3-matplotlib?"
>He
>is still coding in python2.7 instead of python3 but not by choice. Is
>there such a thing as a system default python version? To program in
>python3, doesn't he have to modify his code?
>
>--
>Todd

Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related and reflect authenticity.