[ale] News: Red Hat slams into reverse on CPU fix for Spectre design blunder

Horkan Smith ale at horkan.net
Thu Jan 18 12:24:15 EST 2018

TL;DR - some people had problems w/ Ubuntu desktop, others were ok; Intel microcode may be available for Ubuntu but not default.

FWIW (incomplete, hearsay evidence so not much);

We mostly use Ubuntu desktop and derivatives in house (small shop w/ 6-7 active linux users); I heard from 3 that experienced 'issues' after the update - two had multiple apparent freezes-requiring-reboot, one had multiple machines that would boot, but be very slow or unable to open firefox, chromium, or even gnome-terminal & would fail w/ a compiz crash.  Also FWIW, at least two had the 4.13.0-26-generic kernel (Ubuntu 16.04.3 release, 16.04.1 seems to be at 4.4.0-109-generic), and I think they both use the Intel graphics driver.

On the other hand, I've been running the upgrade on both .1 and .3 w/ out issues on 2 Nvidia and 1 AMD machine.  (The AMD may not be good evidence, it's mostly used headless.)  I also tend to use a lightweight DE (LXDE or fvwm).

Also, I'm pretty sure there's an Intel microcode that's considered proprietary, which means you have to explicitly check the 3rd party box to enable it, then install it.  You might also have to turn off secure boot - I know you do for the Nvidia drivers.  I'm not positive if that's the same microcode they patch, however.

later!
   horkan