[ale] Behind on your "Container Skills"

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Mon Jan 8 14:22:49 EST 2018

Questions:
    a) Containers or not? (Not)
    b) If yes, production or not? (Not)

I've tried to find a way that containers fit into what we do, and it just ends up being a solution looking for a problem to solve. I could see where it would work for some, but we just don't have a use case for it outside of just "hey, this is interesting stuff" tinkering.

Allen B.

--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer
allen at ua.edu

On 1/8/18, 12:09 PM, "Ale on behalf of DJ-Pfulio via Ale" <ale-bounces at ale.org on behalf of ale at ale.org> wrote:

    On 01/08/2018 11:34 AM, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
    > From the article, seems most enterprises still use VMs and real hardware
    > for their production loads.  Containers are mostly used for development
    > needs, not production.
    >
    > https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/08/container_shock_not_everybody_is_doing_it/

    Certainly a few people here are using containers. There are over 1100+
    other members, lurking.

    Questions:
    a) Containers or not?
    b) If yes, production or not?

    My answers:
    a) I have a few toy containers; none running now.
    b) Zero in production.