[ale] [systemd] Boot speed

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Sat Feb 17 09:33:31 EST 2018

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 08:58:22AM -0500, leam hall via Ale wrote:
> I don't see boot speed as a game changer for systemd, even if it is a
> lot faster. If you're booting your desktop then you're probably
> already used to "push the power button, hit the head, grab some
> coffee" routine. If you system isn't up by then maybe there's an
> issue.

Faster boot times aren't the primary benefit.

The main point is to have a set of fully dependency-resolved set of
services/actions.  A side benefit of this is parallelism, which in turn
leads to better boot times.

For example, the night before last I switched my home IPv6 provider
from a Hurricane Electric tunnel to Comcast's native static service.
When I restarted the network interface, systemd automatically restarted
all dependent services, without my needing to do anything else.

> For servers, if you really want uptime, why aren't you redundant?
> Reboot time is again not an issue if the service stays up.

Think of cloud instances that come and go based on realtime demand.  The
faster things start up, the faster they can start serving.

I'm not saying that use case necessarily matters to anyone here, but
I'll take improved boot times all the same.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^