[ale] for all you systemd haters...

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Feb 16 21:04:27 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 07:00:16PM -0500, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
> Exactly when will that happen?
>
> My systems used to boot in 15-25 seconds, usually just under 20s.
>
> $ systemd-analyze
> Startup finished in 26.383s (kernel) + 13.483s (userspace) = 39.866s

If the kernel itself is taking more time to boot than the entire system
used to in the past, it seems silly to blame systemd for that.

(And wtf is going on to make the kernel take 26s to hand off to userspace?)

Anectdotally, Fedora 24 on a high-end P700 workstation I have at the
office booted noticably faster from spinning rust than CentOS6 did from
an SSD in the same system, despite having more to start up.

> On systems with static IPs, networking.service takes over 20 seconds!!!
> Huh?

You can drill down deeper into that to see where the time is actually
spent.

network.target on my main server took 22 seconds to start on its last
boot.  It's also a fully static setup, but that time includes *every*
network-facing service.  Mailman accounted for a ludicrous 10s of that.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^