[ale] for all you systemd haters...

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Fri Feb 16 16:37:45 EST 2018

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 01:23:30PM -0800, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
> Now currently a non-systemd machine tracks what belongs to whom, right?
> I can pull up a list of PIDs and their owners (top already can do it) so
> in theory I should have always been able to clean up behind a user even
> if unceremoniously with a giant killall.  So that part isn't new as
> described by some of these sites.

Yes and no -- you don't want to blindly kill all of a user's processes.

They may have more than one login session (eg via ssh), or may have
requested something to persist.

At the same time, you may want to reap stuff that has done the
double-fork detachment game.

It's not necessarily "new" in a pure capability sense, but what is new
is that it JustWorks(tm).

> Permissions for the network is interesting.  Network authentication I
> can see since that currently would require some glue logic to pull off
> (like feeding current environment to wpasupplicant or an 802.1X EAP
> interface).

Yep, there's intereaction with NetworkManager (via dbus) to handle this
sort of thing.

> But isn't this what thin-clients did ages ago?  You had a keyboard,
> mouse, local GPU, local display manager and everything else ran on the
> central machine.  Some older versions of Windows had that and I remember
> thin clients for using X as well.

You've been around long enough to see what's old become new become old
become new again.  Meanwhile the old IBM greybeards are still chuckling
about today's kids not knowing anything about anything.  :)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^