[ale] for all you systemd haters...

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 16:15:02 EST 2018

On Fri, 2018-02-16 at 13:00 -0800, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
> I think if systemd had been spearheaded by anyone other than
> Pottering
> it probably would have gotten an improved reputation or at minimum
> would
> have had an opportunity to demonstrate itself and sell the idea on
> the
> merits.  There are plenty of people that improve the things we use
> but
> are not even remotely as sour as Pottering.  For systemd, Pottering's
> previous actions with Pulse Audio basically guaranteed that he burned
> the bridge before he crossed it.
> __________________________

And that sentiment is a real shame. I've managed to mellow (slightly)
as I've become older. I don't instantly start waving the pitchfork and
torch when things don't go my way. But I do keep them close :-)
At the time, pulseaudio was a difficult project, a needed project as an
attempt to create a Linux-wide workable audio system. Several people
worked on it and made it happen. Far fewer people pitch pull requests
that complain about things not being the way _they_ want it. I found
the combo of pulsaudio and esd quite workable especially during the
thin client project in 2006-2007. It just worked. Did it work 2 years
earlier? Um, not well.
Things improve. Sometimes people do to.
James P. Kinney III

own tail. It won't fatten the dog.