[ale] The future of the operating system

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Dec 20 18:33:23 EST 2018

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 11:00:58 -0500
Leam Hall via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> In practice, absent systemd, I think a Linux based trimmed down
> configuration could provide much of the same benefits as Open/NetBSD.
> Maybe not to 100% but close. Something like "Linux From Scratch"
> specifically configured for performant and secure networking.

Try Void Linux

https://voidlinux.org/

Download and install the core, and from there add one by one only what
you need. No systemd. Uses runit to initialize the computer.

It's rolling release, but you don't get stuck in the update blind
alleys frequent in Arch. Meanwhile, you get modern software.

SteveT

Steve Litt
December 2018 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21