[ale] Replacing shared host?

Simba simbalion-ale at tailpuff.net
Thu Dec 20 16:02:41 EST 2018

On 12/20/18 1:46 PM, Leam Hall via Ale wrote:

> I agree, DO, AWS, or whomever trying to PREDICT a customer's actions
> is next to impossible. That's why Rich's e-mail is so valuable; the
> business should monitor and respond to improper behavior. That way
> they are dealing with facts and evidence, not guesses about potential
> behavior.

Would it still be $5/mo if they did that? I doubt it.

The bigger problem is not spammer accounts, it's hacked websites, thanks
to many people running unpatched WordPress installs. And this is
aggravated by know-it-all devops people who tell website owners to
disable automatic updates because it might slightly inconvenience them
if an updated plugin breaks something. Obviously being slightly
inconvenienced is much worse than significantly inconveniencing hundreds
or thousands of other people when your unpatched WordPress site gets
hacked because you never update it.

I think we're probably all in agreement in terms of what we'd like to
see but since I rely upon the low-overhead costs of their service to
operate my business, I am opposed to anything that could increase those
costs. Seems like the same kind of division people have over taxes, we
all want more public services, but who's going to pay for it? And in a
similar way, we'll probably never reach a consensus on this issue either.

Also, any kind of behavior-scanning is going to be rife with
false-positives and poses valid privacy concerns.

As long as they aren't dismissive of abuse reports, and they have a good
policy regarding spammers (they delete the accounts and blacklist the
account owners), I am contented.

By comparison, companies like Endurance International Group (the largest
hosting provider) have been known to make it intentionally difficult to
submit abuse reports. And many of them only send automated "We received
your report" messages, if anything.

Simba Lion - https://tailpuff.net
https://keybase.io/simbalion

"Why is a raven like a writing desk?"