[ale] DIY NAS vs Boxed NAS?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 07:57:25 EST 2018

I use gluster extensively at work. It's basically RAID over TCP in that config. Lots and lots of drives, 2 external drive arrays with multipath SAS3, etc, 3 fully redundant systems each with internal drives, external array, IB connection and 40Gb ethernet and total raw storage of 240TB each and 16 unused drive bays and the ability to chain drive arrays up to 512 drives.

Gluster can also be setup like RAID0 (mine is raid1) to stripe across multiple machines. It can be tweaked be a raid 10 style.

If using gluster storage underneath Ovirt virtual machine management, it can run "shards", or data slices, as replication units.

So for this thread, gluster is a solid way to provide expandable storage using commodity hardware.

Note: the gluster client default mount is fuse so it's slow. Each write command blocks until confirmation from all gluster nodes completes. For N nodes, reads are 1/N but writes are xN. Solutions are to use other mount types like built-in nfs or gluster specific nfs-ganesha. The new storhaug is utter crap right now. Apparently NFSv4.2 with pNFS is an option. It may need gluster 4 or later. I'm still on 3.12.