[ale] Grubby and /etc/default/grub...

Raj Wurttemberg rajaw at c64.us
Mon Dec 10 10:29:58 EST 2018

This behavior might be by design but here is what I discovered this morning.

I needed to disable transparent huge pages on a RHEL7.6 server (SAP HANA).
No problem, I run:

# grubby --args "transparent_hugepage=never" --update-kernel=ALL

I check that it's there with:

# grubby --info=ALL

I see that it's there:

args="ro crashkernel=auto elevator=noop transparent_hugepage=never"

I check /etc/default/grub and I see this:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="crashkernel=auto rhgb quiet"

That's not right!  I know that I can modify the /etc/default/grub file and
run '# grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' but what's the point of
grubby then?

Thanks,
/Raj