[ale] DIY NAS vs Boxed NAS?

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Mon Dec 3 20:04:51 EST 2018

On Mon, Dec 03, 2018 at 05:30:31PM -0500, Chris Fowler via Ale wrote:
> #1 gives me the most anxiety when I travel or we are on vacation.

If you're worried about something portable being stolen, then yes,
you need two local copies appropriately separated.  (And to be honest,
when I'm on the road, my upstream bandwidth is usually extremely
limited, rendering any sort of remote backup infeasible..)

If you're worried about your home/office being broken into, then I
suspect they're going to clean out a lot of more obviously valuable
targets first.  On the other hand, if these bad guys are after your
storage specifically, then this probably isn't an appropriate forum for
assistance.

30 days of nightly incremental backups of my "hot set" of critical data
takes about 700-800 GB of an external drive.  My bulk storage is about
9TB of RAID5, of which ~3TB of irreplacable stuff is archived onto
optical media.

I actually do have a nice cabin in the woods that can act as a
geographically-separated mirror of the truly important stuff, but it's
not climate controlled (killing hard drives) and is an highly attractive
nusiance when it comes to lightning strikes (killing everything else..)

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Coconut Creek, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^