[ale] DIY NAS vs Boxed NAS?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Dec 3 17:30:31 EST 2018

Maybe too late to give you a decent reply.

I have two concerns with backups.

1. Theft
2. Hardware failure.

#1 gives me the most anxiety when I travel or we are on vacation.

One way I have solved this is with a Ctera backup appliance that has cloud sync and ranking of my on data by value to tag for that sync. I did not have equivalent cloud storage as I had within the NAS. High value data was replicated to their storage system.

The 2nd way was with NextCloud on a VM at Digital Ocean. It still solves both, but because I'm using 100% VM at DO I don't have the storage space I would have with a NAS.

The newer version of NextCloud works very well. The Android app works and on Linux I'm using Webdav to sync. I also use Dropbox.

My final redundant safe guard for #1 is that I rsync to an encrypted USB stick that goes on my keychain. I also rsync the Nextcloud and Dropbox to that. I also have a 4T passport drive that is encrypted that I backup to and can take with me when I travel.

I believe most people only design their backup to focus on #2. I had a friend whose truck was broken into in Atlanta and they took everything. He had no cloud backup.

Whatever you use, make sure there is a way for it to do some sort of cloud backup. If you use a box NAS make sure it supports rsync clients connecting (preferably via SSH). It be nice if you could schedule rsync on it. The Ctera allowed me to do both. If you make a NextCloud appliance you'll have root access to the Linux underneath and you can do any type of backup you want. Three years ago when I played with NC on a Beaglebone Black The underlying storage was really a Webdav share from box.com. A bit odd, but that allowed me to use the NC in house with 100% cloud backup. I was also just having fun with it.

I've recently been using NC at DO to test eventual replacement of my use of Dropbox. It'd be nice if I could get a VM at one of these providers with access to 1T of space. Rackspace and DigitalOcean tie storage space to CPU/mem. Hard to scale only one of those.