[ale] DIY NAS vs Boxed NAS?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sun Dec 2 18:05:40 EST 2018

That case is guaranteed not to be quiet.  The power supply fans are too
small.  I'd be looking for a case that could be populated with very
large diameter (like 120 mm) low RPM fans to keep the whole thing as
silent as possible.  My current daily driver computer has three 120 mm
fans running at around 500 RPM or less, one on the oversize CPU heat
pipe cooler/radiator, another on the drive cage and the one in the power
supply.  All of this is in a mid-tower case.  I almost never hear the
machine even with three hard drives installed unless I put my ear up
next to it.  That's the kind of thing I want for the NAS as well since
they'll be in the same room, big fans, nearly silent (hence using 5400
RPM drives).  The case doesn't have to be small, I have plenty of
physical space for a big tower.  I just need low power, near silence,
and the extra-nice-but-can-skip-if-alternative-exists individual
indicators for drive activity/health.