[ale] DIY NAS vs Boxed NAS?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Sat Dec 1 12:43:41 EST 2018

65W Pentium G3258 CPU with 4G of RAM.  MB and CPU was $99 total at
purchase 5+ yrs ago.  It can transcode one 1080p stream to 720p via plex
server.  It has over 24TB currently connected.

But I don't use it as an OS backup server. That goes to another machine
with a 2TB USB3 HDD.  I backup about 20 systems with rdiff-backup. It is
mix of VMs and physical. Generally I have 60-180 days of versioned
backups.  I don't backup media files via rdiff-backup and I don't backup
everything, just enough to recreate the system in 30-45minutes if
something happens.

Happy to share my backup techniques. Come to ALE-NW almost any Sunday.