[ale] SNMP oid for file descriptors

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 14:20:18 EDT 2018

Ah, now I am starting to get it.

It occurs to me that this is a good approach in general for solving all
kinds of system monitoring problems. Like I once worked for a web
hosting service. We stored info about each account in a file within the
account. But how to get to that info remotely? We considered picking a
port number, inventing our own protocol, and writing a TCP/IP server.
Should have just added it to snmp and used snmp's own security protocols
to protect it. Before that I worked for a company that wrote drivers for
medical scanners. We *did* pick a port number and invent our own
protocol to get status info from the scanner.

The beauty of the thing, besides not re-inventing the wheel, is that
standard tools like nagios could be used to monitor the data.

I'll have to do some research.

On 08/07/2018 10:55 AM, Alex Carver via Ale wrote:
> You create your own OID table entry.  Use the extend or pass-through
> capability of snmpd and a shell script to generate an SNMP table or tree
> output and then obtain it starting with the base tree
>
> NET-SNMP-EXTEND-MIB::nsExtensions (.1.3.6.1.4.1.8072.1.3)
>

> On 2018-08-07 07:00, Todor Fassl via Ale wrote:
>> Well, I am not too worried about being able to calculate it. What I
>> cannot figure out is how to get to the numbers remotely.
>>

>> On 08/06/2018 01:21 PM, Jerald Sheets wrote:
>>> Why not pull the number of file handles you have: "sysctl fs.file-nr"
>>> and compare it to current open file handles “lost |wc -l” and do a
>>> multi-graph for the metrics.  Then, also subtract the two and alert
>>> when you get below whatever threshold you want?
>>>
>>> I think you should be able to knock that out in BASH or Perl.
>>>
>>> —j

Todd