[ale] Ubuntu 18.04 release notes

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Sat Apr 28 19:36:08 EDT 2018

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 15:25:44 -0400
Phil Turmel via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> On 04/28/2018 06:31 AM, DJ-Pfulio via Ale wrote:
> > On 04/28/2018 02:59 AM, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
>
> >> This is just one of the reasons I like Python so much.
> >
> > This is one of the reasons I dislike python. ;)
> > Give me ; anyday.
>
> I don't know how to describe how I feel about all of this, as
> I like both C and python.  However, they're both a delight
> compared to anything based on XML.

My Stylz authoring environment uses a very typist friendly native
format, but my pre-converter immediately translates it to XML. Once
something is in XML format, if you have an XML parser, you can have
your way with it. Anything you want to do, if you have a decent
parserer you can do it: You have begin tags, end tags, text, tails,
attribs: XML is the ultimate intermediate format. You can quickly find
whatever you need, and there are built in single generation and full
tree walkers.

But XML as something a user interfaces in an editor: Bwaaaaa haaaaa
haaaa haaa ha, you gotta be kidding me. You're right: C and Python are
delightful compared to that (I think they're both pretty delightful
anyway,  but ...)

XML is wonderful for machines, but a human being should never need to
confront XML.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2018 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist