[ale] Ubuntu 18.04 release notes

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Apr 27 13:00:46 EDT 2018

On 2018-04-27 09:43, Kyle Brieden via Ale wrote:
> https://twitter.com/sadoperator/status/989895215442837504
>
> But seriously, though, I appreciate YAML for what it is, and that is "a
> human readable markup language".  It's easy to look over it and suss out
> what is what, much like JSON.  I prefer JSON to YAML, but they're both
> widely used and well implemented most of the time.

JSON is reasonably human readable and certainly does not depend on
indentation to read it.

I can read and write this:

{
"array1": {"A", "B", "C", "D"},
"struct1": {"param1": val, "param2": val},
"struct2": {"param3": val, "param4": val}
"list":
    {
	{"list_item_id": id, "list_item_name": "foo", "list_item_param": param },
	{"list_item_id": id, "list_item_name": "foo", "list_item_param": param },
	{"list_item_id": id, "list_item_name": "foo", "list_item_param": param }
    }
}

far easier and with less likelihood of errors due to whitespace (since
JSON doesn't care) or wrong flags (dashes or not) and overall alignment
compared to:

array1:
    - A
    - B
    - C
    - D
struct1:
    param1: val
    param2: val
struct2:
    param3: val
    param4: val
list:
    - list_item_id: id
      list_item_name: foo
      list_item_param: param
    - list_item_id: id
      list_item_name: foo
      list_item_param: param
    - list_item_id: id
      list_item_name: foo
      list_item_param: param

Did I use tabs or spaces?  Do I have the list items in the right spot
because not all of them use the dash?  Do the number of spaces between
the dash and the name matter for the later items?  Plus all of the
weirdness of additional flags like literal versus folded scalars where
with the JSON I'd just embed the new lines where and when needed.