[ale] Ubuntu 18.04 release notes

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Apr 26 19:42:08 EDT 2018

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 14:35:20 -0700
Alex Carver via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> On 2018-04-26 08:52, Steve Litt via Ale wrote:
>

> > I'd *love* to configure my network with YAML.
>
> Why???
>
> YAML is too sensitive to white space just like many other MLs.  Last
> week I spent forever trying to get a couple programs to run that both
> happen to use YAML for their configuration files.  It always choked
> while parsing the YAML no matter what I did.  Even dumping the
> internal state to a YAML formatted file (there was a command line
> option provided to do this) would put out a file that could not be
> read back in.  I gave up and configured the program entirely from the
> command line, having to bypass config files entirely.

Sounds like a bad program that used YAML poorly.

Also, you're right in that YAML spacing can be confusing, especially if
indentation is shallow or inconsistent, and of course if tabs get
introduced accidentally.

But for a good program used by a YAML aware user, YAML is a great way
to specify what otherwise would be very complex config.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2018 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist