[ale] Ubuntu 18.04 release notes

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Apr 26 11:52:37 EDT 2018

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 10:40:38 -0400
DJ-Pfulio via Ale <ale at ale.org> wrote:

> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BionicBeaver/ReleaseNotes#Updated_Packages
> Worth a read. Lots of changes from 16.04 stuff.

> * X11 is default, not Wayland

Was Wayland the default in earlier Ubuntu versions?

> * Gnome3 is default with Ubuntu theme

Probably everyone on this list knows this already, but it's trivially
easy to trade a high performance WM/DE (window manager/ desktop
environment) for the ball and chain known as Gnome3. My favorite is
LXDE: LXDE *never* does anything stupid, and is always quick, always
does what you expect, and saves your machine's resources for your
applications.

LXDE is being phased out in favor of LXQt, which is also very good.

I don't need a panel, so I use Openbox outfitted with Suckless Tools'
dmenu and my own UMENU.

Fvwm, ctwm, WindowMaker, IceWM, are all great, as are some of the
tiling window managers if you like that kind of thing. For that 256MB
RAM box that simply *must* have GUI, jwm and i9 do the job well.

> * Netplan.io replaces interfaces ifupdown packages for network configs
> (ouch!)

https://netplan.io/

I'd *love* to configure my network with YAML. However, it looks like
netplan.io requires either systemd or NetworkManager, which is a
systemd proxy and is pretty much useless without systemd. So I guess I
won't be using netplan.io.

SteveT

Steve Litt
April 2018 featured book: Troubleshooting Techniques
     of the Successful Technologist