[ale] homebrew routers, castoff hardware

Ted W. ted-lists at xy0.org
Sat Sep 23 08:52:28 EDT 2017

On Thu, Sep 21, 2017 at 10:58:59PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 21:04:58 -0400
> Joey Kelly <joey at joeykelly.net> wrote:
>
> > Guys,
> >
> > I see posts about pfSense, dd-rwt, Ubiquiti and the like. I'm not
> > knocking them, but asking rather if anyone still rolls their own *nix
> > NAT box running on dumpster hardware, like we used to to in the old
> > days.
> >

> I do.
>
> I've been saying for years, soon I'll buy  low power machine to save
> power. But til then, pfSense or just plain OpenBSD/pf on 10 year old
> former daily driver computer.
>
> SteveT

Same here. I'm using an old Intel C2D based desktop PC with a 4-port
Intel GbE nic that I picked up off ebay for cheap running PFSense. Thing
works like a charm. More power hungry than one of those low power APU2s
or SG-1000s but it was basically free and in reality, the annual cost to
run a PC with a 150w PSU at low load is pretty negligible.