[ale] homebrew routers, castoff hardware

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Fri Sep 22 12:53:34 EDT 2017

The newer APU2 CPUs handle 750+Mbps on their GigE connections thanks to
Intel NICs.  These aren't the old Alix boards.

I don't run a VPN on mine - a VM easily handles that duty.  I want a
router device to route and be a first defense firewall, not much else.

The performance from an old Alix to the newer APU2 systems is huge.
https://forum.pfsense.org/index.php?PHPSESSID=toqa0pphhsp2e5rcjp0aal8820&topic=108231.msg612643#msg612643

On 09/22/2017 08:10 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Yeah, $150 or less for fanless firewall box as long as 100Mb network is
> all that's being filtered. If it also needs to support free/openswan vpn
> and/or higher bandwidth, that tiny cpu will become the bottleneck or a
> fire hazard. :-)
>
> For years I had a client that ran a small form factor pc with Linux OS
> as a firewall. The OS was on a CD. It was updated with patches as
> required with a new cd as I had a rather automated process to rebuild
> it. The manual part was handling the cd. I used rewritable media and had
> 2 disks, one in the firewall the other in the burner box (also the file
> server). When kernel and network patches came out, the master was
> patched, image burned and verified and email sent to swap disks. That
> ran for 15 years.
>
> I've used a few of the tiny box devices. I prefer a normal pc in a small
> chassis.
>
> On September 22, 2017 12:42:26 AM EDT, DJ-Pfulio <DJPfulio at jdpfu.com> wrote:
>
>     On 09/21/2017 09:44 PM, Raj Wurttemberg wrote:
>
>         My only issue with it is that it draws 114W
>

>     A 10W, fanless, machine designed just for this stuff runs $144-ish and
>     should easily last 10 yrs. The 1 I use supports VT-x and the case is
>     part of the thermal design.
>
>     You can roll your own on it, if you like.

> Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. All tyopes are thumb related
> and reflect authenticity.

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.