[ale] Desirable networking equipment nowadays

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 22:53:28 EDT 2017

I very recently moved to using a Ubiquity 8 port switch (4 non-PoE, 4 PoE)
with an AC-PRO access point. My router is a little mini-ITX Celeron system
I built that runs pfSense. This combination has been fantastic. I'm able to
segregate IoT stuff from the rest of my network with a vlan and clamp it's
allowed bandwidth. And once I got everything going, I haven't even had to
think about the management software. I _might_ get the management dongle
just for ease of use at some point, but it's definitely not high on my
priority list.

>From everything I have researched, I would not recommend the gateway piece.
Stick with pfSense. You'll have way more flexibility.

On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 22:42 Ken Cochran <kwc at theworld.com> wrote:

> Hey ALE I could use some advice/pointers for some networking stuff.
>
> I need to set-up/update networking at a home & a small office.
>
> Probably need something like an 8-port switch for the house
> along with wifi.
>
> Office doesn't need but a coupla ports + wifi.
>
> I've had good luck over the years with Asus, a RT-N16 running DD-WRT
> and a RT-AC68P.  Both got lightning-toasted sometime back & I picked
> up another RT-AC68P.
>
> I was thinking of another couple of the 68Ps but recently there
> was nice discussion here of Ubiquiti gear; maybe I should
> be looking more into that?  Asus works nicely with DD-WRT,
> etc. & according to DD-WRT's hardware list, so does Ubiquiti.
> (Don't know how appropriate though I guess.)
>
> With Ubiquiti, it looks like they separate the various
> components, so I'd guess that per location I need a gateway,
> a switch and a couple of those hockey-puck wifi transceivers(?)
> No need for rack mounting.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks, -k

James Sumners