[ale] Containers... use?

Jerald Sheets questy at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 10:14:12 EDT 2017

> On Sep 18, 2017, at 9:34 AM, Solomon Peachy <pizza at shaftnet.org> wrote:
>

> The unspoken assumption here is that your needs are sufficient to make
> this (completely necessary!) administrative overhead worthwhile.
>
> Unfortunately, much like VMs before, most shops just "download an image"
> from the likes of DockerHub and then deploy it, with no real thought
> towards ongoing maintainence or security concerns.  Because those cost
> time/effort -- and therefore and money.

Being a security guy for a FinTech that has global reach…. no one is allowed to “just download an image”.  If it doesn’t come from us, it’s disallowed for use.  We have a rather large self-service platform that hosts them, and the images have to be built and maintained by us.  It’s a nice use for new interns.

—j