[ale] Containers... use?

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Sep 18 09:39:09 EDT 2017

Jerald, I bet a presentation on your docker deployment techniques would
have a full house of interested ALEer.
   Oct or Nov meetings need a topic. ;)

On 09/18/2017 09:18 AM, Jerald Sheets wrote:

> FUD doesn’t play well here, and this smacks of FUD to me.

Some things require time to be proven.  Old guys have learned that hype
is seldom true.  We've been burned before.  Things need time to mature
if you don't want to be bleeding edge, spinning with constant updates.

When I was 25, bleeding edge seemed like the best place.  Around 45 ...
not so much.  We had systems that worked, where predictable, and met the
requirements better than previously deployed stuff.

>From the outside, there are some technologies that have great hype and
may prove to be great - someday - after they mature a little.

Remember when openstack was all the rage?  How many years did it take to
NOT need a fork-lift upgrade between versions?

Docker/Containers seem very useful, but it wasn't that long ago that
root escalation break-outs were being found every few months, regardless
of the claims from the container people.  I think the docker container
format has "won the war", but the requirement for docker to run as root
on the docker-host is still troubling.  Just a little more maturity is
needed.

Is that FUD?

And for about 6 videos from Redhat reps for container best practices,
look on youtube for the SELF 2016 conference. Some more details provided
beyond what Jerald is saying here with a little more depth in those.