[ale] Containers... use?

Michael Potter michael at potter.name
Sat Sep 16 00:27:25 EDT 2017

If a one knows how to install linux and install packages from the
commandline then this is a pretty good airplane book:
https://www.dockerbook.com/

airplane book = book that can be read without having to do the exercises or
otherwise be in front of a computer & can be read in a couple of hours.

On Fri, Sep 15, 2017 at 10:54 PM, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Sep 2017 22:30:01 -0400
> "Raj Wurttemberg" <rajaw at c64.us> wrote:
>

> > Are any of you using containers for anything? Most of my customers
> > are SAP HANA (2 to 4TB of RAM and 20 to 60 CPU cores). The technology
> > looks cool... I just can't find a use for it.
>
> I use Void Linux, which doesn't have the broad access to software that,
> let's say, Debian has. Also, Debian has lots of software that doesn't
> really work, or that their "devs" decided to put wierd defaults for. So
> you take a distro that does a piece of software really well, and make a
> container to run that piece of software. So far I've done that only
> with VMs, but I'm going to try to do it with Vagrant pretty soon.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> September 2017 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical
> Troubleshooting Brand new, second edition
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr

Michael Potter
  Tapp Solutions, LLC
   www.tappsolutions.com