[ale] Quarterly ALE Resource Reminder

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Sep 11 06:07:11 EDT 2017

Quarterly reminder.

Atlanta Linux Enthusiasts, ALE, has multiple ways to keep in touch and
meet with your fellow ALE'ers. Below are the methods listed in order of
the most used.

ALE Communications
------------------
1) email list from ale.org - sign up here:
    http://ale.org/?page_id=5  "ALE General" 5-20 msgs/day
2) postings on http://www.meetup.com/ALE-Atlanta-Linux-Enthusiasts/ for
specific meetings.
3) postings on http://ale.org/ - monthly meetings (presentation links) -
Use RSS
4) #ale on Freenode - IRC (use any IRC client or there's a web-front-end)
5) email list for Study Groups - http://ale.org/?page_id=5 "ALE Study" -
very low volume. Should pick up with KSU-IEEE sessions this fall.
6) Discussion Groups on
http://www.meetup.com/ALE-Atlanta-Linux-Enthusiasts/messages/boards/ -
lots of subgroups there - very low volume.
7) Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/linuxatl/
    (this is new)

Linux Jobs
----------
If you have or are looking for a Linux job, there are 2 places:
a) email list for Jobs: http://ale.org/?page_id=5 "ALE-Jobs"
b) meetup "Job Postings" discussion:

http://www.meetup.com/ALE-Atlanta-Linux-Enthusiasts/messages/boards/forum/11057922

Physical Meetings
-----------------
There are 3 different sub-groups with physical meetings.
1) ALE-Central - monthly at Decater Makers, park across the street or
around the corner in the neighborhood.
    https://plus.codes/865QQMGV+4Q

2) ALE-NW - weekly usually at Harry's Pizza, easy parking
    https://plus.codes/865QWH22+2GX

3) ALE-South - weekly usually at Oz Pizza,
   easy parking https://plus.codes/865QHC89+Q6

Visit http://www.meetup.com/ALE-Atlanta-Linux-Enthusiasts/ for specifics
about these meetings. Plus.codes can be used with google maps, but the
rectangle resolution is lost. We also post What-Three-Words locations,
W3W, for some meetup events to reduce confusion over addresses.  Some
(cough) popular GPS tools are confused by some addresses.

F/LOSS Calendar
---------------
The meetup site has a iCal Calendar with F/LOSS happenings around the
region. http://www.meetup.com/ALE-Atlanta-Linux-Enthusiasts/events/ -
visit this link to find the CalDAV and iCalendar links for calendaring
programs to know what's happening. Of course, you can also use a web
browser.  We attempt to keep Linux and F/LOSS related events in the
calendar; primarily ALE stuff, but related conferences and other group
events too.

ALE and KSU-IEEE will be having an InstallFest in September at
KSU-Marietta to kick-off our ALE @ KSU Essential Linux Saturday
sessions. http://ale.org/if has more information.

Volunteering / Get Involved
------------------------------
ALE is 100% volunteer. We are an informal club run by people just like
you spending a little time every month to help others on their journey
through Linux. Just volunteering 1 hour a month would be very helpful.
Everyone is welcome regardless of skill level. Contact any of the
organizers on the meetup page to get involved.

Summary
-------
Please sign up for the "ALE General" email list to know what is
happening or any last minute changes to meetings. Sometimes we have to
cancel a meeting at the last minute, so if you did not RSVP, then you
may not get notified. Point your favorite RSS reader at the meetup
events and calendar.

Hope to see you out at these events, if you get a chance!

Please share this info with anyone who may be interested.

-jd