[ale] Systemd rants (was bow head)

Solomon Peachy pizza at shaftnet.org
Sat Sep 9 19:31:37 EDT 2017

On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 06:36:22PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
> From what I've seen from using it, Dovecot is a great example of The
> UNIX Way

*snerk* IMAP is about as far from The UNIX way as it gets, which doesn't
bode well for any implementations of it, including Dovecot, which does a
lot more than serve up IMAP (and its myriad extensions) which is just
one of its many horrible transgressions aganist the UNIX way.

> as is fetchmail,

Fetchmail is a flaming train wreck from start to finish.  It's an even
worse example of the UNIX way than Dovecot is, but that doesn't make it
any less useful.

> procmail

That violates the "do one thing" principle, but I'll concede it does
what it does admirably well.

> ls, cat, cut, sort

Single-purpose commands

> sed, awk, grep

Highly useful, but there is a very strong case to be made for combining
them due to their overlap.  (Resulting in Perl)

>  make, and the like.

Make is awesome, but it's scope is so limited that it's rarely used on
its own.  It will outlive all of its would-be replacements.

 - Solomon
--
Solomon Peachy			       pizza at shaftnet dot org
Delray Beach, FL                          ^^ (email/xmpp) ^^