[ale] what to do with older PC's

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Mon Sep 4 23:50:40 EDT 2017

Agree re the laptops being junk. The P5 could likely be made to run
modern versions of most things with Gentoo Linux (my usual environment)
but it would be a painful experience. It would need an unusually high
amount of RAM for that vintage to be able to run a browser in some DE;
1GiB would put you in paging territory and you'd want to dedicate a
whole 'nother drive on its own controller for your swap partition. Could
make a pretty good router with higher-end NICs; I used a P/100 as a
router for years here.

As for the AMDs, you might have better luck. I have an AMD X2 rated a
little underneath your BE 4250 (I use it for video ripping and
transcoding) but yours uses about half the power.