[ale] Of password managers and family...

James Sumners james.sumners at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 12:44:12 EDT 2017

https://blog.lastpass.com/2015/06/lastpass-security-notice.html/

I use 1Password. I have for several years. Last year I updated to their
1Password for Families service. Things to note about 1Password:

1. your data is encrypted locally _first_ with your master password
2. they are very clear about how they work
https://1password.com/files/1Password%20for%20Teams%20White%20Paper.pdf
3. if you stop paying for the service, you don't lose access to your data
4. icculus has written Linux tools for accessing the data (no quarrels from
Agile Bits) https://icculus.org/1pass/

On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Kyle Brieden <kyle at txmoose.com> wrote:

> Howdy all,
>
> I've been using a KeePass vault for password management for a little while
> now.  I use my NextCloud server (SUPER awesome, do recommend) for syncing
> the vault between computers and mobile devices.  I use KeePassXC on
> Windows, Mac, and Linux, and I use different apps on my Android phone and
> iPad respectively.  This is all well and good for *me*, because I like the
> open source, I own all the hardware, I'm doing this all on my own kind of
> feel, but this isn't sustainable for anyone more than myself.  I have been
> bitten in the ass before by my vault getting out of sync between two
> devices or being open on multiple devices at a time.
>
> My family (fiancee, sister, brother-in-law, mother, and father) need
> protection.  They NEED to stop reusing passwords and set up a password
> manager.  Does anyone have any opinions on low barrier to entry, low
> friction password managers for the non-technical in our lives?  I've
> investigated LastPass thus far, and the price seems worth it to me.
> LastPass seems trustworthy, too, with how open they are about their
> technology stack.  I have looked at some others, such as Padlock, too,
> which seems like a good open source alternative.
>
> Thoughts?  Opinions?  Feelings?  Success and/or catastrophic failure
> anecdotes?
>
> Thanks!
>
> ---
> Very respectfully,