[ale] Of password managers and family...

Joey Kelly joey at joeykelly.net
Fri Oct 20 15:55:16 EDT 2017

On Friday 20 October 2017 15:30:56 Kyle Brieden wrote:
> Howdy all,
>
> I've been using a KeePass vault for password management for a little
> while now.  I use my NextCloud server (SUPER awesome, do recommend) for
> syncing the vault between computers and mobile devices.  I use KeePassXC
> on Windows, Mac, and Linux, and I use different apps on my Android phone
> and iPad respectively.  This is all well and good for *me*, because I
> like the open source, I own all the hardware, I'm doing this all on my
> own kind of feel, but this isn't sustainable for anyone more than
> myself.  I have been bitten in the ass before by my vault getting out of
> sync between two devices or being open on multiple devices at a time.

Someone needs to LART me because this is an AOL "me too!" reply.

I do not trust any foggy service to hold my passwords. I am a hardcore geek
and enjoy bash, so I decided to spin up yet another half-finished project to
vault my passwords a year or so ago, using Perl and AES. My script asks me for
the master password, then lets me view or change any particular entry. I have
to manually copy and paste the passwords.

I don't trust others, but I trust me, and ain't no way I'm going to leak data,
even encrypted data, to the web.

--Joey

--
Joey Kelly
Minister of the Gospel and Linux Consultant