[ale] Preferred Linux under Docker?

DJ-Pfulio djpfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon May 15 09:36:16 EDT 2017

Docker is like containers.  Containers are supported due to cgroup support in
the Linux kernel.  That means that normal, hypervisor, hardware support for
virtualization (AMD-v or VT-x) aren't needed to run a container.

Containers work under an ARM computer, for example.  It should work under any
Linux system regardless of CPU architecture, so MIPS, PowerPC, ARM, whatever,
can all support containers.  Of course, if you get binary, pre-built, docker
apps, then you'll need a compatible host kernel on a compatible CPU.

Containers ARE NOT virtualization.  Anyone treating a container like a VM is not
following container best practices.

Be very careful if you don't build your own containers. The ancestry for every
pre-built container should be something you are comfortable with.  Watch out for
Joe-Bob's container factory, for example.

Treat old containers like zombies.  Shot them in the head if there is any issue.