[ale] Secure Family Comms

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Thu Mar 23 09:57:21 EDT 2017

Signal is a huge target. I have ZERO doubt that all that traffic is
being captured for later decryption. A weakness WILL BE FOUND and
exploited, if not in the program, in the OS hosting it.

If you are a dissident group trying to alter a government, might want to
keep looking for a less popular solution. Use a little trade-craft in
your OpSec.

I believe that a false sense of security is worse than believing
everything is non-secure, and acting appropriately.

But if you are sharing secret family recipes, it is probably good
enough.  The more traffic on the internet that is encrypted, the better.
Easier to hide a raindrop in a rainstorm than hiding a single balloon on
a sunny day.

Don't believe all the marketing hype - even the stuff I quoted below
about retroshare.  Do some packet sniffing. See what leaks.

For example, how many people are/were using Lastpass? How many leaked
credentials got out due to the latest flaw with FF/chrome plugins. An
online password manager just seems foolish to me.  I prefer my password
manager NOT to having any network code.

On 03/23/2017 09:21 AM, Ted W. wrote:
> If all you want is a way to securely communicate with family use Signal.
> It's not for email but it makes a great Apple Messages replacement. My
> wife and I now use it since I moved off iOS and back to Android. It's
> about a simple as it can get for this sort of thing.
>
> -Ted
>
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 03:31:34PM -0400, DJ-Pfulio wrote:
>> On 03/22/2017 02:00 PM, Alex Carver wrote:
>>> I want to see something that is easy for my parents to use.
>>
>> Might be worth looking at RestroShare.
>>
>> http://retroshare.net/
>> "Retroshare creates encrypted connections to your friends. Nobody can
>> spy on you. Retroshare is completely decentralized. This means there are
>> no central servers. It is entirely Open-Source and free. There are no
>> costs, no ads and no Terms of Service."

Got Linux? Used on smartphones, tablets, desktop computers, media
centers, and servers by kids, Moms, Dads, grandparents and IT
professionals.