[ale] [OT] Defensive Code matters

leam hall leamhall at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 09:47:19 EDT 2017

I paid an invoice early this morning with PayPal. Unfortunately I typo'd
the zip code and the form reset saying I needed to re-enter. That's fine, I
typed slowly and got it right the second time.

However, the application encumbered the full amount both times,
signficantly reducing my PayPal balance. I've contacted the invoice company
and the vendor, so that's not as much of a problem yet.

When you code, do so defensively. In this sort of case gas stations will
often debit USD 1 to ensure the transaction is possible, and then do the
rest of it later. Right now the invoice processor has given me a bad feel
for their coding capabilities. They may be smart, but are they thinking?

Leam