[ale] ALE Workshops on ...

DJ-Pfulio DJPfulio at jdpfu.com
Mon Mar 13 11:16:39 EDT 2017

With the success of asking for ansible presentations, thought I'd throw
out another request.

Basically, a group of sessions with a road map to setup a home network
for all the things that homes like.
* Linux-based router setup/management
* Network security considerations (IoT, parents, gaming systems, kids)
* Centralized user management
* Backup Server on the network.
* Ad server black-holes
* Secured VPN remote access - never allow direct access internally
* Remote file sharing with calendars, contacts, media and files (Nextcloud)
* Local media server for the house (Plex/Kodi/DLNA)
* NAS options/setups - basically an NFS server.
* Self-hosting options for assorted services.
* Telephony for the home w/ VoIP
* Running an email gateway on a VPS, but keeping all email internal to
the home network. VPN accessable, usable.
* Setting up client devices to work local and remote with all these
services.
* Other stuff needed at home?

Anyone interested in working on a full solution along these lines?

* What to buy.
* How to deploy it.
* Where we can go cheap.
* Where spending a little more is best.
* Why using most commercially sold router boxes isn't the best idea.
* How to maintain all these different systems, easily.

Many of these solutions flow into what a small business needs.

I'm not expert on all these things, but do have most of them solved.
That isn't to say that others wouldn't have solved them in a better way.

I'm a little busy with the LPI stuff myself, but ...

So, any interest?  Even just starting an outline would be helpful for ALErs.